Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lost and Found

Something I thought lost forever has been found! When I was fourteen, my family sold everything and moved to Australia. Our departing luggage was overweight, so my siblings and I left our Bibles in the basement of the friends (an elderly widow and son) where we stayed our last night in the U.S. My dad promised to replace them, and I still have that dainty white leather Oxford Press Bible. But the one I left behind fifty-five years ago, the one with a long list of verses I memorized and recorded in my childish script, was returned to me this past Mother’s Day! My cousin discovered it when she packed up her parents’ belongings to move them into assisted living. But the tricky part is that at the time of our move, my aunt and uncle did not live in the same town as our friends. And to make the discovery even more mysterious, twenty years ago my aunt and uncle sold their farm and most of their belongings and moved hundreds of miles away to live near my cousin, and the widow and her son both died many years ago. How my Bible got to my relatives and made the move with them and then remained tucked away in a box for half a century remains an enigma. Made me reflect on our God; He never loses anything . . . and not just Bibles. WE are engraved on the palms of His hands. Isa. 49:14-16

1 comment: