Saturday, July 16, 2011

Show Is Better Than Tell

     When I was a little girl, my mother sang hymns every day from morning til night . . . and I probably know the words to every verse of every hymn in most hymnbooks! What a heritage :)
     My vivid picture of my mother includes her curly brown hair, warm smile, cotton dress that she no doubt made, white anklets and canvas shoes . . . cooking, sewing, working in her garden or visiting shut-ins or teaching Sunday school or VBS, always with an eye for the poor and needy . . . and always singing.
     My style was a bit different . . . when our children were small and up until they went to high school, I would tuck them into bed and then sit on the end of one of their beds or in a chair and sing them to sleep. I sang the same simple songs, all in the same key, night after night, putting my heart into them so they would get a feel for the sound of personal worship.
     Years later, on the first mission trip the girls and I took to Mexico, Devorah was invited to sing as all the girls snuggled down to sleep. Imagine my amazement when, beginning with "Open My Eyes, Lord, I Want To See Jesus," she sang my old repertoire!
     One day about ten years ago, I rode with Tim to Wenatchee. As he drove out of the driveway, he began to sing "Sweet Adoration," another of my old songs. I commented on it, and he replied, "Mom, it's one of my favorites."
     When granddaughter Lucy (Rachel's daughter) was 3 1/2, I babysat for her overnight. I tucked her into bed, kissed her good night, we said prayers, and then I sat on the end of her bed and began to sing . . . of course, my old and loved songs. As I began, her little voice came from the pillow, "My mommy sings that to me." My heart swelled up with joy. As I finished "Oh, Lord, You're Beautiful" and began "Jesus, Name Above All Names, she whispered, "My mommy sings that song, too."
     Tears filled my eyes. God, You are faithful!
     So, with my little story, I challenge you, "Are you "showing" your faith to your children?" It doesn't have to be the way my mother did it, or the way I did it--be yourself--but remember, "Show is better than tell!"
P.S. Devorah went on to sing with the Virginia Opera, Tim is Director of Worship for Menlo Park Presbyterian in MP, CA, and Rachel sings on the worship team for Open Doors Presbyterian in Walnut Creek, CA. And they are each serving Jesus. Thank you, mother, for showing me the way so I could pass it on!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Joyce. Thank you for sharing it here. It reminds me of my childhood days when my mother did many similar things that have stayed with me for a lifetime. Mothers everywhere leave lasting impressions on their children when they don't even realize it, whether they be good or bad. I will be eternally grateful that my mother was a godly woman!

    ReplyDelete